Southern Maid Donuts
– 1 sachet of dry yeast
– 3 cups of flour
– ½ cup of warm water
– 1 x egg, beaten
– 1 teaspoon of sugar
– ½ teaspoon of salt
– 1 tablespoon of oil
– Cooking oil
– Dissolve the yeast in warm water and combine with other dry ingredients.
– Knead for several minutes and leave to one side in a warm place until dough doubles in size.
– Roll dough out so it is flat and cut into 1.5 inch squares. Allow to rise for 1 hour.
– Heat 4 inches of oil in a Dutch oven.
– Drop squares into the oil and cook until they are golden brown.
– Strain and dredge in sugar & cinnamon mixture.
– Warm honey and drizzle over doughnuts to serve.